Tuesday, December 1, 2009

My baby and me (oh and Asher too ;-)

Hello to all! I'm sure you have heard the good news by now and seen pics of my new dolly. I just have to say I have the most amazing husband ever! How many guys do you know can deliver their own babies and handle it like it's no big deal....even when you know otherwise. That's my man!
In spite of (or perhaps because of) the couple weeks of start and stop pre-labor, when it actually came time everything went really well. I went to bed Sat night hoping so much that I would be in labor in the morning but not really believing it would happen. (Mon. was my due date and Ed had to go back in to work that morning, so I was feeling antsy about it all.) Lo and behold I woke up feeling contractions around 7:30ish. I waited just a bit to see if they would continue and then let Ed know I would probably just be staying home. In spite of ctx. (contractions) being good and strong when I had one, I was still able to get around and do stuff in between times and felt very normal.lol. So we got up and started getting the kids ready for church and Ed called Pete and Holly to see if they could come and take them in the van. After we got them off, it was a nice quiet morning ...we ate and then went for a walk around the block, and then started doing a bit of cleaning when we got back. Labor continued nicely with me having to stop and breathe through ctx. but still able to keep working in between. It was so nice to have the house quiet and to ourselves for those few hours. I was able to just relax and let things happen. After church we called Mom and let her know what was going on and she and Priscilla got here about 2:00pm. Labor was just starting to get harder at this point so it was good timing. (I think Ed checked me and I was at 8). Ctx. were coming closer together now and Mom rubbed my feet and Ed would keep counter pressure on my back. (Can I just say he somehow knew what I needed when with out me having to say a word.) Time seemed to sort of slow down for me at this point as I knew I was close to pushing but wanted to take it slowly and not risk tearing or anything, especially as this wasn't a water birth. It was sort of crazy but all at once I wanted to be all the way up on the bed instead of on the edge so everyone had to do a quick scramble to get into position again. (Did I mention Holly came over too at some point in here? It was the most people I have had at a birth but it was so nice to have all the extra hands and I had talked about the possibility with each one beforehand too.) I was so glad to have the extra support at my back and within a few minutes I was pushing....harder than I have ever pushed in my life. His head was huge! (we measured later and it was almost 15" around) then a quick rest before the shoulders and rest of him came out. Usually we wait for the next contraction but Ed was calmly encouraging me to go ahead and try to push the rest of him out so I did, and with him came about 20 gal of water (as Mom put it =). It totally soaked Ed and the bed and everything else . lol . When I opened my eyes I realized why Ed was wanting me to get him out...he had the cord wrapped twice around his neck and was looking a little blue. But Ed got him untangled right away and he started crying and he pinked up before too long. Even with all that is was/is such a calm baby. He hardly cries at all. Anyway, everything was fine and we are just thanking the Lord for another wonderful blessing. He weighed 10 lbs and 8 oz and measured 21" length. Needless to say, I feel soooo much lighter. lol.
The kids all got to come home and meet their Asher after church that night (in fact the whole family got to come meet him), and already love him to death. Ky would make him her personal doll if we let her and everyone wants to hold him all the time. I have let them a couple times but don't want to wear him out...in a family this big it can happen fast.=) Besides I really am hoping to keep him well if at all possible.
So I am just thanking the Lord for all His blessings...a wonderful husband( you are my hero), my 7 precious babies (I 'm so proud to be your Mommy), that this labor and delivery was safe and healthy for both of us, I'm recovering great from all that, and for all the rest of my family and friends who are there anytime I need them. I'm so thankful for all of you!


Melissa@ Simply Mel said...

Sounds like everything went great! I'll bet your kids are super excited to have another sibling to love on. It's great you were able to have a lot of family there for it. What a great support system.

Hugs to you all!

Kami Gimenez said...

Congrats! Yay! God is so good! I love the name Asher and he looks so adorable. I love hearing homebirth stories too.
Love you all,