Friday, January 29, 2010

housewise

I've been meaning to post about this too:
I know I mentioned in an earlier post that I wanted to get a grip on my house again as it just seemed out of control. Well, right after that, Ed and I were talking and the Lord just brought to mind a good way to accomplish that.
I don't know if I've said before but our house is pretty small (3 bedroom,1 bath) and as much as we love it, I sometimes feel like we are about to push the walls out. We do have a huge back yard which I'm soooo thankful for, but anyway...back to what I was talking about. We discussed it and decided it would be a good idea to put all the kids in one of the rooms (using a couple sets of bunkbeds) and put all the clothes and toys in the other room, instead of having your traditional boys room/girls room. We were spending so much time just on clean-up and rewashing clean laundry that never made it to the drawers. I desperately need to be efficient if I'm ever going to make any progress and we figured this would be a good way to accomplish that. Sooo, first week of January we were busy rearranging our entire house. As of last week sometime I finally got it all sorted out and I have to say I LOVE it. The washer and dryer were already in the boys room so we made that the dressing room/toy room, and the other room is the sleeping room. I allow nothing in there except the beds and blankets and an occasional book. It has made a huge difference in my laundry already. I can stand there and fold and put away everything within just a few steps. And it has made the kids toys available again but they can only pull out a couple things at a time. I already feel so much more organized because it sort of consolidated alot of miscellaneous stuff too. For example, I now have a drawer for all the girl's hair stuff and jewelry. Another drawer for hats, gloves, and backpack/purses. Just little things like that. They don't seem like a big deal in themselves but it all adds up. =)
Ed and I still have our own stuff in our room and Asher's stuff is in the hall on the changing table. It is already helping and I'm looking for the day when I can see the bottom of my laundry baskets. hahaha. Yeah, I know I'm dreaming on that one.
Anyway,... so far I've made a decent start on some of my goals for this year.
Feeling very thankful!

No comments: